Wednesday, May 13, 2009

hmm..content areas

When looking at the topic matter for this blog, I had to stop and ask myself, what are my strengths and weaknesses in the content areas of teaching. Weaknesses seem to be the easiest to think of, so I will start with those. One weakness I have (and always have for that matter) is in the area of mathematics! I have always struggled in math. However, I am pretty sure that I can firmly tackle any math I come across as an elementary teacher. Another content area weakness I have is in the area of english. I feel confident in my abilites to write and read but I am not completely confident in my abilities to answer questions about different aspects of english.
My strengths in the content areas of teaching, include reading and science. In the area of reading, I am very good with comprehension. This will be beneficial when teaching students comprehension skills and strategies to use while reading. Aside from comprehension, I am confident in my ability to teach student's word and letter sounds. Over J-term, I was given the opportunity to teach a reading lesson over a few days to a small group of students. I had to go over letter and word sounds with the students. Although, some of the students did struggle with some sounds in certain words, I was able to help them to eventually understand the particular rule that went with that sound. In the area of science, I love science which I think will transfer over to being fairly confident in my knowledge of the content area.

No comments:

Post a Comment